Statcounter

Sunday, September 10, 2017

TIFF Talk 2017: Dryden Rainbow, "I, Tonya"


Name: Dryden Rainbow from Toronto

The Film: I, Tonya (USA)

What's it about?

The film follows 1990's figure skater Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie) who was involved in a huge scandal with her skating rival, Nancy Kerrigan, around the 1994 Olympics. It's about her and her husband (Sebastian Stan) in kind of in a faux documentary.

Did you like it?

I really liked it. I knew nothing about the scandal. It happened when I was very young so I did not follow it at the time. The movie reminded me a lot of The Big Short in terms of being a serious biopic, but also being funny. I, Tonya has a lot of comedy in it.

I saw the film mostly because Allison Janney is in it. She's one of most favourite actresses. She plays Tonya Harding's mother and she's the worst mother who has good intentions, but poor execution.

The film made me feel sympathetic towards Tonya Harding. I watch the Olympics every year and the film reminded me of the controversy with U.S. gymnast Gabby Douglas.  Four years ago, everyone was supporting Gabby and this year she didn't hold her hand on her chest during the national anthem and everyone vilified her. It's weird how we vilify young women who just want to compete for their country. Obviously, this crazy pattern has been happening for a long time.


I, Tonya will be released sometime next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment