Statcounter

Sunday, June 29, 2014

WorldPride 2014 Toronto Street Style

Toronto's 34th annual WorldPride festival draws to a close today and to mark the occasion we're showcasing some of the extraordinary street styles that have graced Church Street.

Gabby


Gabby: "When I was a kid in Guatemala, I always wanted to be a woman. It was really hard to live there because it's all about being macho. My brother would beat me up a lot. I couldn't wait to turn 18 years old and move away from there to live my own life."

TorontoVerve: "Do you dress like this often or is it just for Pride?

Gabby: "It depends on my mood in the morning, but inside I feel like a woman. I am a woman. It's very hard for trans people because we get harassed every single day. You have no idea how many men I have to fight. They call me 'faggot' or 'freak.'"

TorontoVerve: "Is there a particular woman who inspires you?"

Gabby: "I would have to say Jennifer Lopez because she's very hot and sexy."

TorontoVerve: "What's the best advice you've ever received and from whom?"

Gabby: "From my mom. She said do whatever you want to do as long as you don't hurt people -- just be happy."

TorontoVerve: "Are you happy now?"

Gabby: "Yes, I'm very happy."



Brandon & PJay


Brandon: "This is my every day look. It's androgynous. Model and designer Jeffree Star inspires me. He's original -- a rocker with pink hair and tattoos everywhere."

PJay: "My style is eccentric and out there like Lady Gaga. She's not the same every day. Her look is different, her albums are different and her perception of the world is different. I love her."

TorontoVerve: "What's the best advice you've ever received and from whom?"

Brandon: "Every queen I've ever met from New York, London and Paris has told me 'never fucking give up.' I've never given up and I've been the most successful at the age of 22."

PJay: "Be yourself. Don't try to be something you're not. The world will see you as you see yourself."



Gracie


Gracie: "Someone once told me that my style is 'sparkle punk,' but I think it's more alternative goth-chic. I'm actually visiting here from Vancouver."

TorontoVerve: "You came down for Pride?"

Gracie: "Yes, I love it. It's just so beautiful to see so many gays and happy people. It's like the Olympics for gays. Everybody is loving everyone. People only have good things to say to one another here -- it's awesome."

Gracie owns a hair salon called Sugar Skull Studio in downtown Vancouver. Check out her Instagram @Lickrish.


Ronaldo


"I'm so happy to be here. I've been coming for 14 years. This year I'm wearing my cowgirl outfit."



Hannah


Hannah: "I just put on stuff that looks good and isn't too bright."

TorontoVerve: "What's the best advice you've ever been given?"

Hannah: "To always stay outside of your comfort zone because that's the only thing that's going to help you grow."

TorontoVerve: "Is that working for you?"

Hannah: "It is working for me. I was able to start up my own business and become one of the top North American District Managers in my industry."



Xavier & Christoph


Xavier: "This is my new revamped style. I call it 'preppy tourist.' You want to look like you're not from the place, but you also want to look educated and smart."

Christoph: "My style is a mixture of punk rock, preppy, glam and sequins -- I love to shine. I'm inspired by Michael and Janet Jackson, Aliyah and Rihanna. They're all edgy and I love their fashion."

TorontoVerve: "What is the best advice you've ever been given?"

Christoph: "To be comfortable with myself because at one point I wasn't and I needed someone to tell me that."

Xavier: "I was told not to be an attention whore and always speak my mind. It's a negative thing, but I always try to make it a positive."

Check out Xavier and Christoph's Instagram.



Laura




Shahir


"My style manifesto is to combine androgyny and mysticism. It's divine chaos. I get inspiration from queer films like Lucifer Rising. It's a problematic film, but it's aesthetically gorgeous. It merges underground queer paganism with Egyptian culture to create psychedelic and ancient art. It's very elegant and androgynous."


Steph


Steph: "I love vintage clothing. I'm wearing a Fever London dress. They're like modern-vintage. I bought it at a Goodwill for $6, but we sell it at our boutique for like $200."

TorontoVerve: "What's the best advice you've ever received and from whom?"

Steph: "I guess from my sister. She told me not to always worry about what other people are thinking."



Anne & Chinny


Anne: "My style is easy-going and androgynous."

Chinny: "My style is eclectic, fun and comfortable. David Bowie and Grace Jones inspire me. I just love their hair and make-up."

TorontoVerve: "What's the best advice you've received and from whom?"

Anne: "My mother told me to live a happy life."

Chinny: "Trying to please anyone or everyone is the key to failure."

TorontoVerve: "And who told you that?"

Chinny: "Bill Cosby."


No comments:

Post a Comment