Statcounter

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Charlotte

"My name is Charlotte and I host a YouTube news channel for youth. I have just gone through a break-up, and lately I just don't feel like wearing make-up, looking good for anyone, or wearing a bra for that matter. Naturally the responses on the channel from viewers have been rude and sexist. 'What have you done to your face?', 'She looks like a man', 'she's flat chested' and so forth; which reinforces the fact that we live in a society where the value of women is determined by how much make-up they are wearing, how feminine and submissive they are, and whether or not their breasts are popping out of their shirts. I am not only beautiful, I am kind, I am smart, I am talented, I am funny and I am generous. I am a woman and I am so much more than my appearance. And I have nice tiddays so suck it!"

That's a direct quote from one of Charlotte's Instagram posts and when I saw it on my feed, I reached out to her to find out what led her to share such a deeply personal story.
Charlotte: "I always tried so hard to be this perfect girl with the perfect make-up and lashes, but now I want people to see me for who I am. Instagram posts are usually fake and I wanted to share something that was real to help people. It's been also therapeutic hearing some of my followers' responses. I don't know -- maybe I shared too much, but I was just so angry at the time. I just wanted something good to come out of it and inspire people to feel happy to be who they are."

TorontoVerve: "You're one of the hosts of Information Overload on YouTube. It must be tough feeling all that pressure to always look your best for the camera."

Charlotte: "Yeah, I don't have a make-up artist. I spend hours on my make-up and hair. I try my best to look like the ideal hot girl, but the fact of the matter is -- it's not about being a hot girl. I'm reading the news. I'm trying to inform people. I don't want people to stare at me because they like my outfit. I want people to hear what I'm saying. Long story short -- most people weren't used to seeing me without my make-up so they were being rude and sexist. I stopped wearing a bra. I have breasts -- I'm just putting that out there, but certain shirts make it look like I don't. An alarming amount of people said that I was flat chested. Why aren't they commenting on my ability to do my job? Would they do that to a male host? Probably not. And I don't think that's fair."
TorontoVerve: "I hate those paparazzi photos exposing female celebrities without make-up. Who cares?"

Charlotte: "Exactly. Everyone was freaking out when [singer] Alicia Keys walked the red carpet without make-up. 'How could she not wear make-up in public?' This is how you don't wear make-up in public! Who knows? I might grow out of it, but right now, I'm feeling good without it. Remember -- someone might fall in love with your face, but they'll stay with you for your personality."
Follow Charlotte on Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. And catch her on Information Overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment