Statcounter

Saturday, September 10, 2016

TIFF Talk 2016: Earl, "The Birth of a Nation"

Name: Earl from Los Angeles

The Film: The Birth of a Nation (USA)

What's it about?

It's the story of Nat Turner, [the enslaved African-American who led an insurrection against slave masters in 1831].

Did you like it?

I think that director Nate Parker did an excellent job in telling Nat Turner's story. If I didn't receive a free ticket tonight, I definitely would have paid to go see it. It was a very good movie. I heard a lot of mixed reaction about the film. Many people think that it was well done, but others feel that it's too dramatized. I don't agree with that.

We still see some of the same issues [depicted in the film]. You never really grow up in this world. No matter who you are or when you were born, you never really grow up.  

I think that [the rape allegations against Nate Parker] have been elevated to discount the movie. There are a lot of actors who have had issues, but [the press] hasn't brought it out like that. Look at Woody Allen. Nate Parker has been acquitted and I don't have a problem with that. This is not about him, it's about [Nat Turner's] story and I hope that it doesn't affect the film.

The Birth of a Nation Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment