Statcounter

Friday, September 9, 2016

TIFF Talk 2016: Caroline, "Message from the King"


Name: Caroline from Toronto

The Film: Message from the King (United Kingdom/France/Belgium)

What's it about?

Message from the King is a revenge thriller about a South African visitor (Chadwick Boseman) who searches for his sister's killers in Los Angeles.

Did you like it?

I thought the movie was very good. It was a bit gruesome, but I loved it. Chadwick's performance was excellent. His South African accent sounded real. It didn't seem like he was struggling with it. His character is very adamant about finding his sister's killers so it's very bloody. If you're a Chadwick Boseman fan, you have to see it. It was reminiscent of that Liam Neeson film, A Walk Among the Tombstones.

I was so happy to see Chadwick in person on stage. He has a very sophisticated stature. I've loved him since [he played Jackie Robinson in] 42. I'm a big superhero fan so I'm really looking forward to seeing him play Black Panther in his own movie. We don't get to see many black leads in superhero movies. I think Michael Jai White was the last one [in Spawn] and that was in the 90's. It was great seeing John Boyega play a lead in Star Wars, but I know that upset some people because he's Black. I think when you only have white heroes, people assume that White is right. What's great about Black Panther is that he's actually from Africa and he fights for truth and justice.

Follow Caroline on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment