Statcounter

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

TIFF Talk 2016: Camille, "Loving"

Name: Camille from Kansas City

The Film: Loving (USA)

What's it about?

It's the true story of Mildred Loving, a black woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, who were sentenced to a year in prison in the state of Virginia for marrying each other in 1958. Their marriage led to the Supreme Court's civil rights decision to invalidate laws forbidding interracial marriage. 

Did you like it?

I loved the film. I don't think either of them knew the significance of the decision that they were making when they chose to get married. They just loved each other and wanted to do what was natural; which was to pair, get married, raise a family and mind their own business. I kept asking myself during the movie, "My goodness. Don't they realize that this is going to be a big deal?" But they really didn't.

I love the performances [by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga]. They did a great job. I really fell right into the story. They moved me. I think if audiences come with an open mind and open heart, they're also going to be very moved. Hopefully, they can take the next step to understand all of the other questions that are being asked in the United States at this time. Marriage is marriage and love is love. It's all good.

Also, my daughter is getting married next year. Her fiancé is Caucasian and they live in Washington, DC -- so the film is a little personal to me too.

Loving will be released in theatres on November 4th.

Loving Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment