Statcounter

Monday, September 14, 2015

TIFF Talk 2015: Cheuk, "Dheepan"


Name: Cheuk, Toronto

Film: Deepan (France)

What's it about? 

It's an immigrant story -- except that the lead is a special type of immigrant: he's a Tamil Tiger, struggling to fit in French society that's overrun with thugs and drugs. He has a complicated relationship with [the Tamil woman and girl who are posing as his wife and daughter]. It's a different take on your standard immigrant movie.

Did you like it?

I really liked it. I know in Cannes, there was question about whether it deserved winning the Palme d'Or. Sure, it's not as cinematic as past Palme d'Or winners, but I feel that it tells a very universal story. I'm an immigrant so I really connected with the film. I believe it was deserving of the Palme d'Or.

Cheuk is a filmmaker who has made a 15-part documentary about Chinese immigrants around the world. "It's about identity and assimilation -- all told through the perspective of an owner of a Chinese restaurant, and of course, I talk about food. It's part Discovery Channel, part History Channel and part Food Channel." For more info about Cheuk's documentary, check out ChineseRestaurants.tv.

Dheepan Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment