Statcounter

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vive La France! TorontoVerve is in Paris!


For the last week, I've been seeing the sights in Europe, and after spending 5 nights in Paris, I can understand why people easily fall in love with the city. The beautiful architecture, incredible museums, amazing fashion and delectable food are so intoxicating - you'll never want to leave.


[In the Louvre]

To prepare for my first visit to Paris, I read travel books, watched movies, practised my french and updated my wardrobe. I'll admit, I was first intimidated by the city because of my eagerness to avoid many fashion faux-pas.


[The Mona Lisa behind glass at the Louvre]

Specifically, I've read that I should always be stylish in such a fashion conscious city; otherwise, I risk getting a cold reception by locals.  Needless to say, not everyone was dressed in Prada or Yves Saint Laurent. And you wouldn't be burned at the stake for wearing sneakers or blue jeans, which were relatively common sights. Paris may be known for its haute couture, but it also has its share of cool street chic.


[Saint Denis holding his decapitated head on Notre Dame Cathedral's exterior wall]

 And yes, I did encounter the occasional snobby individual, but not any more so than I've met in Toronto. Overall, Paris greeted my partner Dorothy and I warmly and showed us a good time.


[Inside Notre Dame Cathedral]

Some of the touristy stops that we made were the Eiffel Tower, Arc du Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedral, Le Louvre, Le Centre Pompidou and Les Tuileries. We also ate at extraordinary restaurants, including Bofinger, Allard and Le Georges.


[Le Jardin des Tuileries]

But the thing that impressed me the most were the streets of Paris. Every street corner was picturesque and looked like a vibrant painting. You couldn't take a bad picture of Paris if you tried.


One of the reasons I practised my french was to take Paris street style photos. How could I resist?

And if you're already a fan of Paris street style, you'll be happy to know that I'll be featuring celebrated street style photographer and blogger Fred Vielcanet of Easy Fashion Paris in an upcoming interview.


But first, for the next week, you'll be treated to Paris street style - followed by street style from Amsterdam and Stockholm.

Enjoy!

- Nigel.

4 comments:

  1. wow! way to capture what Paris is all about! these shots are beautiful, i can't pick a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and your story is captivating too. I am wonderfully jealous and always in awe at how instantly it all is so immediately different from anywhere else.

    The street scene with the pizzeria is classic and everything above the heads of the people looks like it could easily go back and forth between real or painting. Vibrant and surreal in its reality. Enjoy yourself Nigel and thank you for these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, guys. I really appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, Nigel. I can see why you loved your time there. Looking forward to seeing the street fashion.

    ReplyDelete