Statcounter

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Go-Go's: They Still Got the Beat, Greek Theatre LA Concert

Last night we not only caught the Go-Go's live in concert at the Greek Theatre in LA, we also had the great opportunity to meet the band personally before the show at their exclusive meet and greet.


             [Back: left to right -- Kathy, Gina & Charlotte; Front: left to right -- Belinda & Jane]

As a pre-teen in the 80's, I was obsessed with both Michael Jackson and Prince, but then The Go-Go's came along.  Their first international hit, Our Lips are Sealed was my first introduction to the punk scene, which completely diversified my music tastes.





















Their subsequent hits, We Got the Beat, Vacation and Turn to You made me a devoted fan and for decades I've been wanting to see them perform in person, however, the moons never aligned to make that happen.





















When I heard that their 30th anniversary tour would not bring them to Toronto, we purchased tickets to their LA show and planned our vacation around it (which would include a coastal drive).






















Meeting them in person didn't disappoint.  They were very personable and accommodating with their fans -- a rarity for bands who have been in the business for 30 years.

And what did we think of the concert?  It was simply amazing.  The band treated fans to all their hits, including Belinda and Jane's solo outings, Mad About You and Cool Places respectively.























While I still love Michael Jackson and Prince, I'm also a fan of the B-52's, Joan Jett, Blondie and a host of other new wave and punk bands.

And I have the Go-Go's to thank for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment